Creep behavior of linear low-density polyethylene films
Keywords:polyethylene films, orientation, β-irradiation, crosslinking, creep
AbstractThe Creep of biaxially-orientated linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE) non-crosslinked and crosslinked with Î²-irradiation was studied as a function of the draw ratio and irradiation dose. The creep results have shown an increase in the creep strain after the polymer irradiation with a dose below 4 Megarad (MR) in comparison with a non-irradiated film. This increase corresponds to the disorientation in the amorphous phase, which takes place as a result of the film heating during irradiation. This disorientation was demonstrated by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and X-ray analysis.
(1) Birkinshaw, C., Buggy, M., Daly S. and O’Neill, M. 1989. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 38.
(2) Bobovitch, A., Gutman, E.M., Henning S. and Michler G.H. 2003. Morphology and stress relaxation in oriented polyolefin shrink films. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 90: 3424-3429.
(3) Deny, M., Latour, R. A., Ogale A. A. and Shalaby, W.S. 1998. J. Biomed. Mat. Res. 40: 214.
(4) Ikada, Y., Nakamura, S., Ogata, K., Makino, T.K., Endoh, N., Kayashi, I., Fujita, S., Fujiseena, A., Masudee, S. and Oonishi, H. 1999. J. Polym.Sci., Part A : Polym. Chem. 32: 159.
(5) Klein, P. G., Ladizrsky N. H., and Ward, I. M. 1986. J. Polym. Sci.: Part B, Polym. Phys. 24: 1093.
(6) Marin, J., Criesacher, D. B. 1963. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 7: 133.
(7) Peacock, A. J. 2000. Handbook of polyethylene. Structures, Properties and Applications, N.Y. Marcel Decker, Inc. : 534 p.
(8) Peterlin, A. 1971. J. Mater. Sci. 6: 490.
(9) O’Connel, P. A., Banner, M. J., Duckett, R. A. and Ward, I.M. 2003. Effect of molecular weight and branch content on the creep behavior of oriented polyethylene. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 89: 1663-1670.
(10) Osborn, K .R. and Jenkins, K. R. 1992. Plastic Films Lancaster. PN. Technomoc Publishing Co.
(11) Rasburn, J., Klein, P. G. and Ward, I. M. 1994. J. Polym. Sci. Part B : Polym. Phys. 32: 1329.
(12) Sangster, D.F. and Barry, D.B. 1991. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 42: 1385.
(13) Ward, I.M. and Wilding, H.A. 1984. J. Polym. Sci., Polym. Phys. Ed. 22: 561.
(14) Zhou, H. and Wilkes, G. L. 1998. Polym. 39: 3597.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Journal of Metals, Materials and Minerals
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish in this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.