The relationship between reheat-treatment and hardness behaviour of cast nickel superalloy, GTD-111
Keywords:Superalloy GTD-111, Microstructural Refurbishment, Re-heat-Treatment, Hardness, Superalloys, Lifetime Extension
AbstractThe microstructure of cast polycrystalline nickel base superalloy, GTD-111, operated for long-term services were investigated by SEM after different re-heat-treatment conditions. It was found that the exposed specimen after long-term service could be recovered in some extent by re-solution treatment followed by two-step aging treatment. The obtained dispersed precipitation of gamma prime particles was more uniform than those of the long-term exposed microstructure. The results showed that the couple of the lower (1125Â°C) and/or higher (1175Â°C) solution annealing temperatures resulted in less total volume fraction of coarse gamma prime precipitates and less homogeneous distribution in microstructure than the medium (1150Â°C) one. Furthermore, the increase of inserted primary aging temperatures (925Â°C and 1055Â°C) resulted in an increase of gamma prime particle size, especially of coarse gamma prime particles. The choice of re-heat treatment conditions with solutioning at 1150Â°C for 2 hours followed by primary aging at 1055Â°C for 1 hour and secondary aging at 845Â°C for 24 hours was the most effective when comparing to other reheat treatment conditions in this study to optimize microstructure. Concerning the hardness test results, the hardness properties depended on the total volume fraction of gamma prime precipitated phase in case of specimens after solutioning and/or primary aging. However, in case of specimens after secondary aging, the hardness behavior trends to vary with the volume fraction of very fine gamma prime precipitated phase.
(1) Sajjadi, S. A., et al., 2002. Mater. Sci. Eng. A325 : 484-489.
(2) Zrník, J., Semeňák, J., Wangyao, P., V., Horňak, P. 2003. The Analysis of Low Cycle Fatigue Behaviour in a Nickel Based Superalloy. J. Met. Mater. Miner. 12(2) : 33 – 40.
(3) Zrník, J., Jenčuš, P., Lukáš, P., Horňak, P., Wangyao, P. 2004. Stress Evolution in Nickel Based Single Crystal Superalloy Subjected to Thermal Cycling. J. Met. Mater. Miner. 13(2) : 25 – 31.
(4) Wangyao, P., Zrník, J., Nisaratanaporn, E., Vrchovinský, V., Horňak, P. 2004. The Study of Isothermal and Anisothermal Deformation Behaviors of Wrought Polycrystalline Nickel Based Superalloy, J. Met. Mater. Miner. 13(2) : 55 – 63.
(5) Zrník, J., Strunz, P., Vrchovinský, V., Muránsky, O., Horňak, P., Wiedenmann, A. 2004. Creep deformation and microstructural examination of a prior thermally exposed nickel base superalloy. Key Eng. Mater. 274–276 : 925–930.
(6) Jenčuš, P., Zrník, J., Lukáš, P., Horňak, P. 2004. Thermal fatigue aspects in nickel base single crystal superalloy. Acta Metallurgica Slovaca. 10 : 487 – 493.
(7) Zrník, J., Strunz, P., Vrchovinský, V., Muránsky, O., Horňak, P., Wiedenmann, A. 2004. Evaluation of structure stability in thermally exposed nickel base superalloy. Acta Metallurgica Slovaca. 10 : 448 – 453.
(8) Zrník, J., Semeňák, J., Horňak, P., Vrchovinský, V. 2004. Lifetime behaviours of the wrought nickel base superalloy subjected to low cyclic fatigue with holds times. Kovové Materiály – Metallic Materials, prijaté do tlače. 15 : 12.
(9) Zrník, J., Horňak, P., Pinke, P., Žitňanský, M. 1996. Creep Fatigue Characteristics of Single Crystal Nickel Base Superalloy CMSX 3. Metals Alloys Technologies. (Kovine zlitine technologije), 3-4, Ljubljana, Slovenia. : 179–183.
(10) Zrník, J., Wang, J. A., Yu, Y., Peijing, L., Horňak, P. 1997. Influence of cycling frequency on cycling creep characteristics of nickel base single crystal superalloy. Mater. Sci. Eng. A234-236 : 884–888.
(11) Wangyao, P., Nisaratanaporn, E., Zrník, J., Vrchovinský, V., Horňak, P. 1997. High Temperature properties of wrought nickel base superalloy in creep – fatigue conditions. J. Met. Mater. Miner. 7(1) : 1–12.
(12) Zrník, J., Wangyao, P., Vrchovinský, V., Horňak, P., Mamuzič, I. 1997. Deformation behavior of Wrought Nickel Base Superalloy in Conditions of Thermomechanical Fatigue. Metalurgija (Metallurgy) 36(4) : 225–228.
(13) Zrník, J., Huňady, J., Horňak, P. 2002. Nickel Based Single Crystal Superalloy CM 186 – potential Material for Blades of Stationary Gas Turbine. Metalurgija (Metallurgy). 41(3) : 232.
(14) Zrník, J., Strunz, P., Horňak, P., Vrchovinský, V., Wiedenmann 2002. Microstructural changes in long-time thermally exposed Ni-base superalloy studied by SANS. Appl. Phys. A74 : S1155-S1157
(15) Hoffelner, W., Kny, E., Stickler, R., and McCall, W. J. Z. 1979. Werktoff . 10 : 84
(16) Ojo, O. A., Richards, N. L., and Chaturvedi M. C. 2004. Scripta MATERIALIA. 50 641-646.
(17) Sawaminathan, V. P., Cheruvu, N. S., Klien, J. M. and Robinson, W. M. 1998. The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), June.
(18) Daleo, J. A., Ellison, H. A. and Boone, D.H. 2002. J. Eng. Gas Turbines Power. (July) 124 : 571-579.
(19) Wangyao, P., Korah, T., Harnvirojkul, T., Saengkiettiyut, K., Homkrajaim V., 2004. J. Met. Mater. Miner. 14(1) : 49-54.
(20) Wangyao, P., et al., 2005. Acta Metallurgica Slovaca. 11 : 25-35.
(21) Donachie, M. J, 1984. Superalloys Source Book. ASM,
(22) Donachie, M. J. and Donachie S. J. 2002. SUPERALLOYS: A Technical Guide. 2nd ed. ASM International.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Journal of Metals, Materials and Minerals
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.